This soup is fantastic in late summer when the two main ingredients are at their peak. The key here is the quality of the ingredients, so if they are not at their best, try something else. The soup can easily be made vegan by using vegetable stock or water rather than chicken stock.

Ingredients

Method

Cut the tomatoes and capsicums in half. Remove the seeds and membranes from the capsicums, then slice. Throw both into a roasting pan with the onions, garlic and oil. Cover with foil and roast at 200°C (390°F) for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue roasting until the tomatoes and capsicums begin to colour (about another 20-30 minutes).

Transfer the tomato mixture into a pot and add the chicken stock. Bring to the simmer for 20 minutes to let the flavours combine, then pass through a food mill (mouli). If you don't own one of these, strain off most of the liquid, then put the tomato mix into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped, but not pureed, then mix back into the liquid. Bring back to the simmer, seasoning with the salt and pepper.

This soup is delicious garnished with some crème fraiche and chopped herbs, such as basil or flat parsley. Of course, you will need plenty of crusty bread. To keep it vegan, try pureeing some silken tofu with some salt, basil and balsamic vinegar and spoon over the hot soup.

Makes about 2 litres or 10 entree serves