This is without a doubt a fantastic book. I read it very quickly and enjoyed it immensely. It should be noted that the story is told not from one boys point of view, but from the point of view of a group of adolescents in the sisters' neighborhood. It is written collectively - instead of "I", the narrator(s) use "we."

The story is about the five Lisbon sisters, Cecilia, Lux, Bonnie, Mary, and Therese. The tale opens vividly with the youngest, Cecilia, attempting to commit suicide by opening her veins in a bathtub. She is discovered by one of the neighborhood boys (after an interesting explanation of his transportation into the Lisbon house using rather unorthodox means), and thus begins the story - and quite a story it is.

The book, like so many great forms of art, is a magnificent contradiction: Jeffrey Eugenides' writing style is wonderful; it is both descriptive and factual, yet also emotional and pained. It's full of wonder and beauty, but also violent and dark. The Lisbon sisters themselves are an enigmatic lot that most of the book is devoted to trying to figure out. However, the effort is futile - and that's really what the book is about. The hopeless infatuation with the ravishing, youthful sisters that elevated them beyond being simply human, and the insatiable need to know them, to understand them. The attempt to make sense of the fantasy, and in doing so looking beyond the reality.

The Virgin Suicides is a transcendent story. It leaves behind the boundaries of space and time to weave a haunting, ethereal memoir. It is the story of every boy who began to see girls in a new light when he hit puberty. It is the story of memories, and how the pain of them can remain for years. More than anything, it's a story of humanity. Like the Lisbon girls remained in the boys' hearts and minds for years after they were gone, this story will stay with you long after it's over.