I Hate it Here

The Word E2 Feed

Welcome back, America. Welcome back to the eternal shitshow that is your domestic politics; welcome back from the orgy of hope that was your elections to the grime and feces of the real world's interactions. Welcome back to your continual attempts to deny the last gasps of renaissance civilization through your ongoing deification of complete failures of humanity; welcome back to your eternal disappointment over your deification of Smilers and bastards.

I've been here all along. Oh, no, I never left; I just retreated to the sewers and subways, cigarette clenched in my angry jaws, bottle of Old Panther Sweat in my hand, to observe from below - the only true viewpoint on this magnificent wasteland of a fucked country. If you read the latest polls (which will show you whatever you want depending on how you read them, which you pay attention to and most important who you've paid to commission them there is still an enormous machine in this country called the Republican Party, or Grand Old Party to its adherents. Nobody outside of this organization is sure why, since it has managed to garner positive approval ratings only in the cradle of the Civil War, and its entire party platform seems based on the notion that the sitting President is not only black, but a black who lies about his heritage in a legally culpable way.

This all makes me deliriously happy, despite the fact that it's coming up on holiday time, and I'll soon be having to carefully juggle time between political observation, writing, and emulating the Swedes by burning puppies as biofuel. I must offer my gratitude that that chilly nation for truly showing us The Way Forward on pest control. Puppies will likely burn even better than bunnies, and I'm all for anything that serves as dog population control. Fewer puppies means fewer dogs, which means fewer cybernetic police officers I need to discipline with a broken bottle and a drunken palsied veterinary surgeon.

So it's almost November, America. It's about eleven months since you elected Barack the Wonder Minority to your top office. Have things gotten better? Well, the rest of the world seems to think so. Why is there such a fuss about this? Probably because the entire reason for that accolade was "Because he isn't the festering useless fuckwit his predecessor was," which managed to offend all manner of Americans, including those who would agree if the question was phrased in that manner and should probably know better than to be offended.

All grist for the mill.

Welcome back, America.

It's closing in on 2010, and I still hate it here.