Hello. I haven't emailed for a while. And before I launch into a list of my experiences of the day, I would like to thank you for your support when I emailed you before.

Since my last contact, I have visited my new GP, twice, and have discussed my feelings with her. She is a wonderful woman, very positive, encouraging, and she doesn't appear to think I am wasting her time, which was my biggest fear when I went to see her initially.

I am so used to being composed and shielding my hurt feelings from those around me (family, friends and colleagues at work) that I was overwhelmed when I went to talk to her and found myself not only in tears but unable to speak for the majority of our few minutes together.

She has referred me for counselling at a local practice, but I have to wait until August until my sessions start.

I understand that the service will be oversubscribed, and busy. And she is continuing to offer me support with appointments as often as I like (currently these are monthly, perhaps mainly because I don't feel comfortable taking up much more of her time). The appointments are made by me, so I could see her (or another GP) more often if I wanted.

Talking about my feelings, especially my feelings of depression and worthlessness, is a very new experience for me. I am usually the listener. I feel I am there, offering support, for the majority of my close friends and family, but not in a position to ask for any myself.