With lightning speed, I leap forward, pull the dagger out of my belt, slash the man's arm and grab the submachine gun out of his hand. Yoink! His buddy, temporarily dumbfounded by my quickness, doesn't react soon enough to block the roundhouse I deliver half a second after touching the ground, and the first man grimaces in pain a few milliseconds too long, allowing me to kiss him upside the cranium with the aluminum baseball bat that's in my hand for some reason.

"WHERE IS HE?" I demand. I shoot holes in the ceiling to show that I mean business. "Start talking or your buddy here gets it!"

The first man coughs up some blood and gasps for air. I realize I'm being too harsh on him. How can I expect him to give me answers with all the wind knocked out of him? A look of sympathy crosses over my face, and I decide to give him a little while to catch his breath.

Unfortunately, the second man sees my demonstration of weakness, a look of pity, of empathy, of concern for others. He gets up and starts advancing on me. "Stay put or I'll cap your ass!" But he already knows I won't. We can almost read each other's thoughts. "You wouldn't dare. You couldn't bear to bring pain to another person. You couldn't live with yourself if you killed me." Of course, the whole 'bringing pain' thing is inconsistent with my actions 30 seconds ago, but the important part is that I won't kill him and he knows it.

Man, I really fucked this up. I search around for Start button, or some way to save the game. It hits me like a ton of bricks that this isn't a video game. I have to make incredibly important decisions and moral judgments, and get things right the first time.

Shit

Damn you Nintendo! Curse all those years of learning that if you die, you'll have 3 more lives, or you can just walk across the room and turn off the power. I've lost my ability to make split-second decisions and deal with dangerous situations.