BEWARE: The following is highly subjective. But it's true.

Well, see, here's the thing. Southern rock, blues, rock and roll, metal, rap... all of these are genres created and maintained by musicians whose songs express their talent, ideas, and emotions, along with the other good components shared by most forms of art. Rap-metal hybrids are completely devoid of musical goodness, on any level. They weren't formed by musicians of different genres getting together and jamming, and hence sharing and developing musical ideas. They exist because, some years back, some marketing guy at some major label said, "Hmm. Metal sells, rap sells... hey, let's start signing some of these talentless buffoons with rap-metal demo tapes!" And, based on the scientific principle of monkey see, monkey do, more rap-metal groups formed, more got signed, and now you can't even turn on a grunge radio station without hearing the shit.

Oh, but you want me to defend the claim that "rap-metal hybrids are comletely devoid of musical goodness." Well, let me summarize. The members of a rap-metal group have to offer, collectively:

  • No technical ability with musical instruments.
  • No skill with words beyond being able to say "I'm a badass and I'm gonna fuck you up" in 1000 different (but very similar) ways
  • No knowledge of musical theory, beyond (maybe) the tritone
  • No insightful information about the human experience
  • No emotions, except "I'm mad', "Shit sucks" and "You suck"
That is all.
Well, I guess I should mention... the band Biohazard did some pretty good work on State of the World Address, and none of the five statements above apply to them. I speak only of the hyper-popular, teen-angst-feeding, corporate cock-suckers of the day.