Frustration And Frequency

  • Driving at night with my friend August. We're on a long road trip to visit another friend. I've been driving for several hours and we decide to switch seats. I pull over to the shoulder near a three-way intersection. We both get out and August gets into the driver's seat. I walk around a bit, stretching my legs. Across the street is a shopping centre and I tell August I'm going to get something to drink. I cross the road and buy something at a market. Upon leaving the store, I realize I am disoriented. I try to find my way back to August but can't. The stress and frustration build until I begin to believe that I am lost forever and will never see August ever again.

  • I discover a scam to get many boxes of ice cream sandwiches for free. It involves signing up for a cellular phone service repeatedly and getting a coupon for the free ice cream. I am successful a few time and get some mint chocolate chip, strawberry and vanilla boxes. But the next time I try I run into some bureaucratic bullshit. I talk with the operator for almost an hour, answering meaningless questions like, "what is the phone number of your local fire marshal?" During this time I'm talking on my cell phone and walking around on a road near some bus stops. It looks like an area near the applied sciences building of UC Santa Cruz. After a while, her supervisor comes on the line and starts quoting lines from the contract. I start yelling at him and finally get him to admit that everything was his company's fault. Strangely, I am disatisfied because now I don't know what to say. Just then I get another call and my mother comes on the line, commenting on the situation and telling what I should do as if she'd been listening in the whole time.

  • I hang up the phone and hear a very loud, low-pitch rumble. In my mind, I receive the knowledge that I've attuned my mind to a very low frequency as a result of the negative energy surrounding the situation. Reflexively, I tune up and the rumble fades away to be replaced by a very high frequency tone of the sort I'm used to hearing in the quiet of night as I go to sleep. But it's so loud that it wakes me up.