The problem with this statement is that America (the government), many other countries, and the United Nations are not bound (or freed) by any particular religious ideology. The nations that are part of the UN have crafted what is widely believed to be a set of basic human rights, ignoring those things which cannot be dealt with (such as the afterlife, judgement, etc).

In mixing a belief of religious wisdom with a secular issue, one is attempting to muddy an already dirty issue. This is a common FUD tactic. Certianly each individual must come to terms with their own beliefs, values and morals so they can have internal peace. If this requires them asking themselves "What would Jesus Do?" and then following their conscience then that's fine. But to say that the US Government, the United Nations, and the nations of the earth should also take that bit of wisdom and apply it to the situation at hand is, at best, shortsighted, and at worst FUD.

It is shortsighted in that you cannot expect a secular entity to change their course of action based on a short bit of religious wisdom. It's a toy they can turn around in their hands and play with, but the reality is that there are much larger rudders that are steering the ship.

It is FUD in that those who believe an action is wrong based on this or similar statements will ineffectively request representation from their governing body. If one sends such a message to their representative it will be powering the religious rudder which is rather small.

If, instead, that protestor requests representation based on issues controlling the larger rudders their power is exponentially multiplied.

Governments are controlled by people. People are controlled by their own motives/morals/values/etc. It is idealistic to say that any government is completely secular in their decisions. However, it is plain that as much as religion plays a part in American politics it is not difficult to find many more overwhelming factors that affect a decision than religion. Of course it is also instructional to note that representatives are elected, and even the mathematicians agree that if the majority of Americans didn't want leaders of a particular religion to lead them, they wouldn't be in office.