"So what does that mean, you're Pagan?"

My new boss asks me this question a few weeks ago, and I tell him basically what I believe, and admit to the heinous crime of considering myself a "witch." He seems okay with it, though he doesn't know quite what to make of it. But I am somewhat used to that, and so I ignore it.

And then somehow he gets it into his head that every single aspect of my life has something to do with my religion.

"So," he asks when the bigwigs are supposed to visit our store for inspection, "You got any good spells you can do so we get a good grade?"

This comment receives an eyeroll.

And later in the day, when he asks me if I can stay an extra hour, I refuse due to the fact that I have to meet a friend for lunch and have no way of contacting him to tell him I need to postpone, since he's from out of town and on his way here.

His reply: "Uh, so is that one of your little witch friends?"

Me: (blank look) "Huh? No . . . "

Boss: "Oh. Just curious."

Me: "Uh, why did you ask me if it was one of my 'little witch friends'?"

Boss: (shrug) "I dunno, you said they were coming from out of town . . . "

And he said this like it was legit, like this was a sensible reason for why he would think my friend was a witch. I am now puzzled about this. Do witches have to be from out of town? Are all out-of-towners suspected of witchcraft? Are witches only friends with other witches? I'm honestly confused. And he refuses to clarify, because he's embarrassed.

That was really stupid.