My mom had to take me to school, along with this really noisy girl that rides my bus. My mom gets to the parking lot and stops to let me out. I open the door, but before I can step out, she starts driving again. "Hey, mom," I said, "what are you doing? You are supposed to drop me off at school."
"I gave you more than enough time to get out. Now I'm going to work." Then she takes me to work . . . my work. I clock in and my boss tells me that instead of doing my normal job, I have to look after my autistic 9 year old cousin Sarah. Since that is a much better job than checking out groceries and getting carts off the lot, I agree and go to the room they say she is in.
She has this very interesting toy, a toy that I have never seen. It is a ball that one applies paint to in a random manner. A basketball-pump looking apparatus is inserted into the ball, which then opens up like a flower, with sections radiating from the center. My sister's Jewish friend runs in the room, talking about how cool this toy is. However, she is urging me not to put the pump in the sphere.
She leaves, and I go to talk to Sarah. She is singing a song by Pavement, but which song, I cannot remember. I ask her where she heard that song.
"It's my favorite song," she replies.
"But where did you hear it?"
"Favorite song . . . "
As she is speaking, I notice her teeth. They are yellow, and horribly crooked. They are pointing every which way, and there is even a tooth that seems to be coming from the roof of her mouth, a very improbable location for a tooth indeed.