Cheltenham girls high school has a reputation of being the best non-selective public school in Sydney's Hornsby region after performing very well in the HSC 2006 in New South Wales in Australia.

But in negative light, it was also known for having the ugliest school uniform in Sydney. The story behind it area as followed:

There was a teachers' strike day going on in the year 2004 if I remember correctly and some of the students from Cheltenham girls decided to join the crowd of the teacher's strike. The very next day published in the newspaper was a photograph of the crowd with a comment on one specific uniform. Among all the other students who attended the strike, was a highly attractive blob of pink. Yes! You guessed, Cheltenham girls high school's uniform is PINK. (This is in fact our summer uniform) Since uniform is so distinctive in its choice of colour, students appearing in among other students, pink stood out from the normal dull colours of navy, white, grey, green, blue and tartan too. I think the principal was abit disappointed that the two girls jigged school for teachers strike when there was still class that day. The girls DID get in trouble though.

Now that you heard about the pink uniform. Would you be proud to wear it? I mean its like salmon pink in the cutting of a nurse uniform. We were told we dress like a nurse with the way the uniform is designed and we were given the nickname of "Pink Elephants" too. I know most of my friends who attended just hate pink, abit too feminine, but because they're stuck at this school they have no choice but to wear it. Now that they are out of high school, never have I seen my tomboy girlfriends ever wear pink, not a spot in sight! I think they might have had enough.

But in my opinion, the uniform itself is quite alright despite these factors. I have actually grown to love the colour pink, most of my wardrobe consist of pink. I suppose pink now reminds me of my high school times, in an non-nostalgic way. It gives me an reason to think back to those high school times and how we get to see all my friends on a daily basis. You know you will definitely see them again, the very next day, not like "I will see you probably next year". No matter how far away we live away from our past friends, it's a sad thought but it's uniform unifies us all, even for those who hated it. One day i reckon they will cherish the distinctiveness of our high school.

Even now I kept my Cheltenham Girls High School uniform sitting in my wardrobe and I'm trying to find an excuse to wear it!