Complicated set of instructions I learned from an old Brit in a coffeeshop in Amsterdam. He then gave me a rolling mat, which I lost right before a road trip. Sad me!

The best rolling mats are made from antique Chinese tea coasters, which can be found at Chinese tchotchke stores nearest you (they're not all antique, after all) If you can't find a Chinese tea coaster, get yourself a maki rolling mat used for making California rolls and the like.

Now you must ensure that if you're using bud you crush and crumble it throroughly. Make it into a powder. Just use your fingers and pretend you're making flour. The substance you end up with will not exactly be a powder but it'll be right close. If you have good hash, you need either tobacco or this crumbled bud powder, and you fluff up the hash with a lighter and then crumble it in. You may wish to ask your hash supplier for a demonstration.

Cup your non-dominant hand slightly and hold the rolling mat in it so that there is a little ditch, sort of. Align your zigzag or whatnot roughly dead center in the rolling mat. The glue end should be facing up and away from you but at a parallel to the direction you are facing. (That is, lay the thing out parallel to you and not perpendicular to you.)

Now you put two decent sized lumps of this newly crumbled bud at roughly equal distances from the center and edges of the rolling paper and enough to cover the rest of the paper in a thin layer.

You are now ready to begin rolling. Using thumb and forefinger from both hands, place them under the two lumps of bud, and slowly rock the rolling mat back and forth in your fingers until you see a vaguely cigarette shape forming out of the crumbled bud. Continue to slowly work the embryonic joint shape until it appears as though it will hold firmly, and roll the gummed end of the paper up until you notice that you can now fold the non-gummed end of the paper in merely by applying a little extra pressure with your pincers. Roll the gummed end back down, pausing to lick it on the way down, and when you're through, you should have a joint.

Words of advice for getting started, do this over a table, the rolling mat is there to catch the extraneous pot but the table will catch more. Don't forget to put in a filter or spliff card or something (previous w/u's have that bit covered). Also try this by yourself, when you've got enough weed to play with, you'll get the hang of it eventually, remember that the mat doesn't make the joint, you do, the mat just helps you shape the perfect cylinder of pot so that when you perform the final step, the joint should be perfectly rolled. Many people say you can do this with a dollar bill but this method here will get you a dandy joint every time, that is if you don't lose your dern rolling mat.