Doesn't Remind Me" is a 4:15 song by the band Audioslave from their second studio album Out of Exile (May 24, 2005 (in the U.S.)). It is also the third single (released October 31, 2005) from the album. There are two releases, a 2 track version (an Album version and a Live Acoustic Version From Sessions@AOL) and a 4 track version (a 4:18 album version, a 4:55 Live Acoustic Version From Sessions@AOL, a 6:33 radio mix, and a video). The song was nominated for "Best Hard Rock Performance" at the 48th Grammy Awards (February 8, 2006 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California). It lost to "B.Y.O.B." by System of a Down.

The lyrics were written by lead singer Chris Cornell. Tim Commerford plays bass, Chris Cornell does the vocals, Tom Morello plays guitar, and Brad Wilk plays the drums. Thom Russo, Jim Scott, and Brian Virtue were the engineers. Jason Gossman, Dan Leffler, and Jonny Polonsky were assistant engineers. Rick Rubin was a producer. Brendan O'Brien did the mixing.

An official music video was created for the song, directed by Chris Milk. The video featured child boxer Vinny Intrieri ("Kid Vicious"). The video is the first which doesn't have the band performing the song themselves. It won the "Video of the Year" award at the 15th Annual Music Video Production Association (MVPA) Awards (May 11, 2006 at the Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles).


Walk the streets of Japan till I get lost
Cause it doesn't remind me of anything
With a graveyard tan carrying a cross
Cause it doesn't remind me of anything

I like studying faces in a parking lot
Cause it doesn't remind me of anything
I like driving backwards in the fog
Cause it doesn't remind me of anything

He likes to drive anywhere and nowhere in the middle of the night. He never turns the radio on, he can't stand most music, rock, pop, and country. He's afraid he'll hear a song he recognizes. He's turned to the music of religion for relief. Something not present in his past. The thing he loves most is seeing the full moon shining on a cloudless night and the stars.

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie nor more than you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget

It has been five years since the man had lost his wife Brittany to ovarian cancer. To this day he still gets nauseous at the smell of even the smallest bit of industrial cleaners, especially ammonia. He can't stand to go inside hospitals. Luckily he hasn't had a reason to since his wife died. Now he hates not only cancer itself but the fight against it. Sure there have been advances in fighting it. But still despite all the funds and all the research, all the technicians, doctors, and nurses there is no cure for the monster known as cancer. He wishes he had never learned about how little progress has been made in destroying the monster. It only depresses him. But it's too late for him to forget and too hard to ignore it.

I like gypsy moths and radio talk
Cause it doesn't remind me of anything
I like gospel music and canned applause
Cause it doesn't remind me of anything

I like colorful clothing in the sun
Cause it doesn't remind me of anything
I like hammering nails and speaking in tongues
Cause it doesn't remind me of anything

He remembers something a man at a bar once said to him. The man said that the colors of clothing were enjoyable just because of themselves. Pink representing the feminine, black signaling darkness, blue signaling truth. He loved the colors just for themselves. He didn't care whether they had a deeper meaning or connotations. He loved them just because they were beautiful. Scarlet, fushia, violet, teal, orange, and so many more.

When he's alone the man utters nonsense words out loud to himself regularly. The walls of his apartment are thick and his neighbors can't hear him. He says the things for himself and no one else. It's so nice to be able to speak and not have to think or remember.

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie nor more than you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget

Bend and shape me
I love the way you are
Slow and sweetly
Like never before
Calm and sleeping
We won't stir up the past
So discreetly
We won't look back

The man has only one good friend, Ben. Ben knows not to bring anything up unless the man does. It's hard to make conversation but somehow they get along and enjoy their time together somewhat. They talk about the future never the past. Ben helps distract the man from negative thoughts. The man goes away satisfied. He never has nightmares after one of their "sessions." It is a relief.

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie nor more than you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget

I like throwing my voice and breaking guitars
Cause it doesn't remind me of anything
I like playing in the sand what's mine is ours
Cause it doesn't remind me of anything