Writer/director/producer known for his independent-spirited filmmaking and for discovering some of today's most talented young actors (most notably in Dazed and Confused, which launched the careers of Ben Affleck and Matthew McConaughey among others). Born on July 30, 1960, Linklater grew up in Houston, Texas. He quit college to save money working on an offshore oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico before moving to Austin, Texas, where he began his movie career.

He has no formal film education, but he spent several years doing "technical exercises" to educate himself. He says: "I'd already worked and saved up some money, so I'd created an environment to learn by myself. I could still go to two movies a day, I could still read, and then I could edit all night or work on stuff like lighting, editing, everything."

In 1985, Linklater founded the Austin Film Society to showcase films from around the world that were not typically shown in Austin. Still active as Artistic Director, the Film Society shows over 100 films a year and in the last two years has given out $80,000 in grants to 31 Texas filmmakers.

In 1987 Linklater completed his first film, "It's Impossible to Learn to Plow By Reading Books", and shot his first feature, "Slacker" which was lauded on the festival circuit in 1990, showcased at the 1991 Sundance Film Festival, and released commercially later that year. 1993 saw the release of Linklater's Dazed and Confused, an ensemble piece that portrays the lives of American teenagers in the '70s that quickly became a cult hit.

Linklater's latest project is a critically acclaimed animated film entitled Waking Life. His production company is called Detour Films, an excellent name for a filmmaker who has gone off the road well traveled.

Filmography Linklater also has a film that was just released, called Tape, about three old high school friends who pass the time in a Michigan motel room dissecting the painful memories of their high school years.

Linklater has also performed acting duties on varied projects, such as Spy Kids (2001) and Beavis and Butthead do America (1996) (voice acting).

Info culled from various interviews and the ever helpful IMDB

Update 10.20.03 - Updated filmography with latest films...