Salt-raised bread, shaped a la Vienna;sun-dry it; then cut into slices about quarter of an inch thick. Toast in oven on one side only. Have ready finely-ground poppy seeds mixed equally with sugar (brown preferable) ; to every cup of poppy and sugar add one-half teaspoonful of cinnamon.

Have ready some nut cream containing pine nuts and filberts thinned with orange juice. Now put a layer of the toast into an extra deep platter. Pour over it some sweet cream, then a layer of poppy seeds, again a little sweetcream, now the thick nut cream and over this a layer of toast proceeding as at first, finishing with the nut cream.
Serve upon individual dishes garnished with bits of candied fruits, pouring over it Dutch frosting. Serve Arabian coffee later on.

Dutch Frosting

To two well-beaten eggs add one cupful of granulated sugar and two grated apples of good size, a few drops of
lemon flavor. Keep beating until snow white. To be served with plain layer cake.

This is the bare bones of one of the tastiest foods I've ever served to a group, as "Viennese Toast", it's from the Mazdaznan Cookbook, an Armenian monastery cookbook published in the early Teens, and adopted whole by a little-known art school in Germany, known as the Bauhaus. Notes add: "This is a dish served on holidays". To adapt to modern tastes, substitute plain white cake (from a mix) for the toast ("salt-raised" bread is homemade sourdough), and (optionally) finely chopped walnuts for pine nuts and put the candied fruit on top as decoration (geometric shapes in strong, simple lines preferred, though candied fruit has enough of a stained glass quality already). Do NOT substitute pound cake, it's too greasy. (As I found out to my horror, after my mother suggested it.) People will make it disappear.