I was sitting at work noding (given that's what I do all day, every day, I didn't show much imagination in my R.E.M state, did I?), when a colleague asked me to do two important bits of research for her, and send each on a separate email.

Now, I don't particularly get on with or like most of the people I work with, but the colleague in the dream is the one person I have always been loyal to, and vice versa.

I sat at my desk and, feeling more and more guilty about my inability to prioritise work of any kind over noding, blatantly allowed the time to slip by without compiling the information.

My colleague asked if I had done the work yet, and I explained that I had quite a lot on, but would do it next. I continued to node.

Becoming visibly vexed with me (which has never happened in real life), she hassled me again, and I committed a cardinal sin - I said I had almost finished the first piece of research, when of course I hadn't even started.

I reluctantly stopped noding for a few minutes, cut-and-pasted (feeling suitably guilty, for, as we know cut-and-paste is the work of the devil to all noders) the info she needed from another document, and flusteredly sent it.

Even though I had only done half the work, I felt an overwhelming sense of justification for further noding. I did not finish the work by the end of the day.

My colleague could see that I was very shoddy, which would be forgivable, but it was the fact that I had let her down that made her angry, and me mortified.

In the dream I felt disappointed in myself and decided that however much I enjoyed noding, it wasn't worth the guilt I felt at neglecting my work.

When I woke up this morning, I decided that I needed to stop devoting myself to E2 and instead devote myself to my profession, and so I have decided to stop noding.

NOT!