"VALENTINES DAY"

SCENE: TWO WOMEN SEATED ON A PARK BENCH

FEMALE LOVER: I hate Valentines Day. It just reminds me that I'm always gonna be alone. I'm never gonna have someone to love, whose heart beats in unison with mine, in perfect synch.

FEMALE FRIENDS: C'mon you'll find someone. You have to keep some hope about you.

F LOVER: You keep saying that, but when will I meet him?

*Enter two men from the side in mid conversation.

MALE FRIEND: I hate this day, I really do.

MALE LOVER: Yeah well I hate it mo-

*He pauses and both Male and female lover stop and stare at each other, there's about a ten second pause in which the male friend waves his hand in front of the male lover's face*

M LOVER *out of the corner of his mouth: Do you suppose she's seeing anyone?

M FRIEND: Why don't you go ask her?

M LOVER: I think I will.

*He begins to walk towards her but after a few steps both the male and female lover clutch their chests and both friends begin to panic.

M FRIEND: What's happening!?

M LOVER *gasping in pain*: I think -I'm having a heart attack...

F LOVER *also gasping in pain*: Me- too...

F FRIEND: Quick! Phone an ambulance!

M FRIEND: Right!

*He pulls out his mobile and swiftly dials in a number. Both of the lovers fall to the ground in pain

M FRIEND: Hello? Yes I need an ambulance sent swiftly to the park in Redwing Drive?

*He continues to hold the phone and bends down to tend to his friend.

M FRIEND: C'mon you'll make it.

M LOVER *weakly: I- don't think I will...

*Both the lovers die. The phone drops from the male friends hand in shock. The female friend covers her mouth. Both are visible shaken by what just happened.

F FRIEND: Oh god...

*There is a pause, then the female friend looks directly at the male friend.

F FRIEND *speaking slowly at the horror of the idea: Wait a second...

*she gestures to the two bodies*

F FRIEND: Hearts beating in unison? You don't think...

*There is a pause as both stare at each other as the realisation dawns on them.

M FRIEND: I really hate Valentines Day.

*CURTAIN*


"INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE"

SCENE: A ROOM WITH WHITE BOARD. TWO MEN STRIDE IN FROM THE SIDE ENTRANCE IN THE MIDST OF AN ARGUMENT. PAUL IS CARRYING A ROLLED UP POSTER- THIS CAN CONTAIN A DETAILED SCHEMATIC OF THE INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE, OR SOMETHING ELSE RELATED TO IT. IF IT'S NOT A SCHEMATIC THE LINE SHOULD BE CHANGED APPROPRIATELY.

JOESPH: I've had it up to here with you Paul! I'm never helping you with your inventions again!

PAUL: Joe, please this next invention is sure to work!

J: You said that the last time and what happened? No one bought it! We had that cotton gin for ages and they laughed at us at the inventors guild.

P: I still don't understand how that didn't work. You soak some cotton in some gin. How can you not buy it?

J: Don't get me started on the steam powered boat. It was all going fine, only you did the measurements of the boat in Imperial and the engine measurements in metric. And as for that plane of yours...

P: It got off the ground didn't it? We managed to fly it down the river, did we not?

J *really sarcastic and angry: Sure it got off the ground. Sure it did. And sure we were able to fly down the river. But why couldn't we fly it under tower bridge?

*P mumbles something inaudible

J: Louder please.

P *in a small voice: Because the chimney was too tall. But I swear this next invention will be a success. Just hear me out Joe.

J *his anger reducing somewhat*: Ok but if this is even slightly crazy I'm out of here.

*Paul places the rolled up poster onto the white board and unrolls it.

P: This is my new invention.

J: Well the design looks well thought out at least. What's it called?

P: The internal combustion engine.

J: The internal combustion- you mean this thing is going to explode internally?

P: Yeah but it's more complicated then that-

J: I'm going. See you at the farm Paul. *he walks out*

P: Wait Joe!

*He runs after Joe

*CURTAIN*