This Date In History

732

The Battle of Tours takes place, with the Franks holding off the Moors from completely dominating Western Europe.
1780
John Ambercrombie, British philosopher, is born.
1813
Italian composer Giuseppe Verdi (Aida, La Traviata) is born.
1845
The United States Naval Academy is formed, with 50 midshipmen joining its inaugural class.
1861
Nobel Peace Prize winner and explorer Fridtjof Nansen is born.
1900
Acclaimed stage actress Helen Hayes is born.
1913
Construction on the Panama Canal is finally completed.
1917
Famous bop jazz pianist Thelonious Monk is born.
1919
Cartoon voiceover artist Jean van der Pyl (Wilma Flintstone, Rosie the Robot) is born.
1924
Z-movie filmmaker Ed Wood, glorified in the 1996 Tim Burton film of the same name and (in)famous for his Plan 9 From Outer Space, is born.
Award-winning author James Clavell (Shogun, To Sir, With Love) is born.
1930
Playwright Harold Pintetr is born.
1939
The Munich Agreement is signed, ceding the Sudetenland to Germany.
1942
Actor Peter Coyote (Dances with Wolves) is born.
1946
Tap dancer and Broadway legend Ben Vereen is born. ("Zoobilee Zoo", anyone?)
1953
Post punk queen Midge Ure is born.
1955
Charismatic Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth is born.
1956
Tennis great and announcer Martina Navratilova is born.
1958
Country sweetheart Tanya Tucker is born.
1961
Singer and actress Jodi Benson, most known for her role as the voice of Ariel in Disney's The Little Mermaid, is born.
1963
Ill-fated Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl is born.
1964
Vaudeville performer and early Hollywood Star Eddie Cantor dies.
1965
Snoopy's famous alter ego "The Red Baron" makes his first appearance in the Peanuts comic strip.
1969
Long time Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre is born.
1970
Fiji gains its independence from Great Britain after 100 years of colonial rule.
Members of the Quebec Liberation Front kidnap Pierre Laporte, Quebec Minister of Labor, in an attempt to force talks for a free Quebec. He was strangled eight days later.
1973
"Saved By The Bell"'s Slater, Mario Lopez, is born.
Spiro Agnew, racked with charges of fraud and tax evasion, resigns as vice president of the United States.
1974
NASCAR crown prince Dale Earnhardt, Jr. is born.
1978
The minting of the Susan B. Anthony dollar is made into law by President Jimmy Carter.
A cherry bomb thrown on stage in Philadelphia injures Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler and guitarist Joe Perry.
1979
Modern R&B wunderkind Mya is born.
1985
Legendary director Orson Welles, who riverrun once saw puking in an alley, dies.
This date also marks the death of noted bald actor Yul Brynner, famous for his title role in The King and I.
U.S. Navy jet fighters corral an Egyptian plane carrying the hijackers of the Achille Lauro and force it to land in Sicily, where they are arrested.
1986
An earthquake in El Salvador kills 1,500 people.