One of the long line of Final Fantasy games from squaresoft. This one made alot of changes to the game system that make it a real departure from the other Final Fantasy games. All in all a very refreshing change.

As a starter, there is no concept of MP or magic points. A character will draw magic from an enemy. The magic is treated much like items, it can be exchanged between characters and used. Part of the challenge of the game is to stock enough magic, and to not have too many, as magic can only be disposed of by casting it, and there is a limit on how many different magics a character may carry.

There is no concept of equipping weapons and armor. Each character starts out with an initial weapon, and that weapon may be upgraded at a junk shop with the proper combination of special items and money. To add to the difficulty, before a weapon can be upgraded you must find the Weapons Monthly magazine issue which describes the new weapon, and gives its item requirements.

The concept of limit breaks has been carried over from previous Final Fantasy VII however, now a character can only perform their limit break if their HP is very low.

This Final Fantasy introduces the GF or Guardian Force. A GF is some sort of spirit which agrees to fight with you. They are acquired either by defeating them in battle, or drawing them from a boss. Characters get powers from the GF by junctioning with the GF. GFs can be called to do something for the party, much like summon spells in previous games. The difference being that a GF can take damage and even be killed in the time between the summon and it coming. They can also be called every turn.

As a default, a character can only attack. They can't even use the item command! Once a character junctions with a GF, they are able to add up to 3 more commands. These include things like item, magic, draw, and special abilities (like Mad Rush) that vary from GF to GF.

Junctioning with a GF (or several GFs) allows a character to also junction magics to stats. Each GF will learn how to junction to certain stats, then the character can junction magic to those things that the GF has learned to junction to. GFs learn new abilities as the game progresses.

Monsters in the game level up as you do, and somewhat more generously. This means that the overall game actually gets somewhat harder as you get stronger! (however, you can still turn things much more into your own advantage)

Money is not won in battle, but rather you are paid a salary. As your SeeD rank goes up, your salary goes up. Pretty much, the only other way to make money is to sell items at shops.

That is all the major stuff. The main characters in the game which are player controlled are Squall, Quistis, Zell, Selphie, Rinoa, and Irvine. Squall is the main character, as usual, somewhat distant from the crowd and a loner. However eventually comes to feel for his comrads.

They do a fair job of keeping the plot from getting too silly until around the end. Much better than previous Final Fantasy games.