To be honest, I think it is ridiculous to be offended by someone wishing you Merry Xmas, regardless of your religion - frustrated maybe, but not offended.

Let's have a look at why the majority of people wish other people Merry Xmas. I for one am not religious but I still wish people Merry Xmas - why? Because the Xmas is that time of year when people think about other people more, it is a time of celebration, when families come together, when people show a little bit more charity, there are holidays, people are in good spirits (for whatever reasons) - ie good things (tm). Sure, there are the religious overtones - ie the birth of Christ - but I think that to many people, and more and more in recent times, Xmas is losing that significance.

When I wish people Merry Xmas, I am saying 'I hope you have an enjoyable, fun and relaxing Xmas break.' I'm not saying 'Listen you stupid Jew, it's Xmas, a Christian religious holiday, I hope you like it shoved down your throat - ha ha ha ha'.

I can understand how Jews (and other religions for that matter) can feel left out and I would think that frustration would be the appropriate description of that feeling.

However, to fly off the handle and act offended and threaten harrassment suits seems way way over the top. What about explaining the concept of 'Hanukah' to the other person? I for one have never heard of it. If I did, I would start saying Happy Hanukah to Jewish people instead of Merry Xmas. To act all pissed off smacks to me of religious intolerance and stiff neckedness (if there is such a phrase).

One's response to supposed insults should be with the same intentions that the 'insulter' made the comment. ie in this case, the 'insulter' had good intentions behind his Merry Xmas and so a polite reminder that the person was Jewish should have been the response.

Merry Xmas (in a non-theological way) to all E2ers!!