South Park is also the name of both a large county park and a township in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.

The park was developed on 1,999 acres of farmland in the late 1920s, simultaneously with North Park. Trees had to be transplanted and new roads built.

Among the amenities in South Park are an 18-hole and a 9-hole golf course, a skating rink, a wave pool, picnic areas, playgrounds, tennis courts, and a wildlife preserve area.

The Allegheny County Fairgrounds are also located in the park; the fair is held in June every year.

Part of the park lies within South Park Township, renamed from Snowden Township in 1966, which is just north of the Washington County line about 12 miles south of Pittsburgh. The population is approximately 14,000. In addition to part of the park in the northwest portion, the township contains, the residential areas of Snowden and Broughton in the east, and the Library business district in the southwest. Library Road, Pennsylvania route 88, runs north-south through Library, Brownsville Road runs north-south through Snowden and Broughton, and Library and Brownsville Road runs east-west connecting the two.

PATransit's 42L light rail line terminates in Library; the park and ride lot where Library Road crosses the tracks is usually filled on weekdays by commuters riding to downtown Pittsburgh.

South Park Township is a quiet suburban bedroom community, consisting mainly of single-family homes, with only a few businesses located in Library, including a Pizza Hut, a couple of convenience stores, a couple of drugstores, a post office, and a state store. The nearest supermarkets and other major shopping areas are in Bethel Park.

The township library is on Brownsville Road, not actually in Library; this is because Library was named after a library that was founded there in 1833 to provide reading material for coal miners.