The impulse to communicate is one of the most human traits... In this book, the word "code" usually means a system for transferring information among people and machines. In other words, a code lets you communicate. Sometimes we think of codes as a secret. But most codes are not. Indeed, most codes must be well understood because they're the basis of human communication.
-From CODE

CODE - The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software is a book written by Charles Petzold for Microsoft. It gives the reader a great instruction to various coding methods and codes in general starting with simple codes and combinations and going through braille, binary, logic and switches, ASCII, etc. Here's what the inside of the book jacket reads:

What do flashlights, the British invasion, black cats, and seesaws have to do with computers? In CODE, they show us the ingenious ways we manipulate language and int new ways to communicate with each other. And through CODE, we see how this ingenuity--and our very human compulsion to communicate--has driven the technological innovations of the past two centuries.

Using everyday objects and familiar language systems such as Braille and Morse code, author Charles Petzold weaves an illuminating narrative for anyone who ever wondered about the secret inner life of computers and other smart machines.

It's cleverly illustrated and eminently comprehensible--and along the way, you'll discover you've gained a real understanding today's world of PCs, digital media, and the Internet. No matter what your level of technical savvy, CODE will charm you--and perhaps even awaken the technophile within.

The book was written using Microsoft Word 2000, the pages composed with Adobe PageMaker 6.52, with the text and display type in the Sabon font and math fonts in Syntax. The Dust Jacket and Cover pics were designed by Greg Hickman.

This book is well worth the buy. I've read it a couple of times and learned a lot from it. It's one of those books that gives you something to go on.
ISBN: 0-7356-0505-X
Priced at 27.99 USD, 25.99 GBP, 42.99 Canadian

Petzold has also written "Programming Windows"