This is a relatively quick and easy recipe which requires little supervision. It goes nicely with steamed new potatoes and angel hair carrots. If served with wine, pick a boring white such as a Soave — anything with character will likely clash.

To serve three, you will need:

Chop and lightly fry the onions and garlic in a large frying pan until they start to lose their colour. Increase to a moderate heat, and add a little more oil and the pork chops. Fry for two or three minutes on each side, and then turn the heat back down.

Mix the mirin and sherry, and gradually add them to the pan whilst the chops cook. Depending upon how thick your meat is, this will probably take somewhere between ten and twenty minutes. Shortly before the meat is cooked, chop and add the cilantro.

A note for the cowardly: pouring alcohol over a live flame is considered by some to be foolhardy and dangerous. Although neither mirin nor sherry contain enough alcohol to ignite (usually), you may wish to remove the pan from the heat temporarily.

The sauce should thicken but not evaporate to the point that it becomes sticky. If it appears to be boiling off too quickly, reduce the heat and add a little water. If the sauce does not thicken, add some arrowroot or cornflour and stir.

Season to taste, and serve immediately. Or, if your guests are late, add some more mirin, cover and leave over a very low heat.