Today on the train home I thought that I saw someone from my days in the hovel. It was someone that I didn't want to see.

My departure from Horseheads is not something that I look back on with great personal pride. In fact, I would say that it was the culmination of what would turn out to be the low point of my life. My girlfriend had just left me for my ex-girlfriend, there was some, um, tension with certain elements of said girlfriend’s family, and I was so poor that I couldn't eat regularly. Even if I wasn't willing to admit it to myself at the time, leaving that damn town was the best thing I could have done.

I moved to Cortland, spent a few months drinking it off, and haven't thought much about that time since. Except for today, standing on the train, staring at this kid that looked eerily like my ex-girlfriend's sister's ex-boyfriend. I know, it doesn't sound like a terrifying moment. But to me, it brought back a lot of shit that I'd rather not think about.

He got off at the Western stop, and with a closer view it became apparent that it wasn't who I thought it was. No one is ever who I think it is in this damn town. I was glad. The last thing that I want to do is run into someone that I knew in a former life.