a.k.a.
We got ourselves a couple-two-tree noders, but no fronchroom.

 

I know what you're thinking: "OMGWTF! A Chicago Nodermeet?!?"

Yes, kids. Time to retire to the fallout shelter, for the end certainly is near. For the first time in the (readily available) history of everything2, there will be a nodermeet in Chicago! Come on up to Old Irving on August 10th through the 12th for a weekend of drunken debauchery, porch-sitting, and neighbor-angering!

The Master Plan (at it currently stands)

WHEN: Friday, August 10 and Sunday, August 12, 2007. If you want to come up on Friday night, that's cool. Just know that I might be working from home, and may even need to run into the office for an hour if things really go to shit. I have fenangled Friday afternoon off. Come over after 2pm, and I'll be around. Don't tell the boss. :)

WHERE: Super-Secret! My wife and I don't like posting our address on the internet. What I will say is that we're in the Old Irving neighborhood of Chicago. Say you'll come, and I'll tell you specifically.

Our reasonably-sized apartment has a couch and a futon available, as well as plenty of floor space for those needing additional accommodations (bring a sleeping bag or what have you). We've got a huge deck, which I assume will be our major hang-out, weather permitting. A word of warning: there's only one bathroom in my apartment, which will make shower coordination a bit interesting.

There are easy connections via the CTA Blue Line (Irving Park), and the Metra Union Pacific Northwest Line (again, Irving Park Station). It's a short walk from either of these stations to my house, so if you can get to a train, or get to O'Hare, you have no excuse not to get here. There's also the 80 and X80 Irving Park Road buses, which run regularly.

My house is also conveniently located near the Kennedy, so driving here will be easy. A little note for those coming from the south: You're going to want to dodge the construction on the Dan Ryan (This is I-94 westbound after the I-57 junction). I suggest getting on I-294, and coming around through the suburbs, and taking I-90 East into the city. It may or may not be faster, but 294 is going to be the happier of the choices by far.

WHY: Well, um, my wife will be in New York for the ASA conference that weekend. Yes, yes, I know what some of you are saying: "What, that fictional wife you keep talking about?" Yes, that wife. This time you will be able to see all her books, clothes, and other personal effects. And then, of course, wave them all off as an elaborate attempt to fool all of you into thinking I'm married. Yes, you have it all figured out. (Editor's note: izubachi has now met my wife, and confirmed her existence. Take that, smartass noders!)

Anyway, since she will be gone, I was planning to sit here and drink by myself. Might as well get the noders together and trash the place, so she can be really mad when she gets home.

WHAT TO DO:
* Drink on the porch! You do like drinking, don't you?
* Take a look at the gigantic ugly homes they have built on either side of my building.
* We can swing around the corner to the 'Nug for some decent diner food. I'm also thinking we may need to make a trip to Hot Doug's on Saturday.
* Carcassonne, Apples to Apples, and Puerto Rico on premises! Perhaps I'll have figured out how to play Puerto Rico by then. Um, not so much.
* We're in the city! There's bound to be something to do here, right? We can organize expeditions to one of the excellent museums if folks would like.
* This weekend is smack in the middle of a White Sox home stand versus the Mariners, if you like that kind of thing.
* chaotic_poet suggests a trip to the Green Mill might be an good option. "The jazz bands they have there are usually two shades of awesome." Karrin Allyson is playing there Saturday night.
* chaotic_poet also reminds me that it is Market Days that weekend. I knew I was forgetting about an important event.

FOOD: I'll have some stuff here ready to go as far as snacks go, but we run a pretty healthy/anti-snacky house, so anything you guys bring will only make things better in the long run. As for booze, we've got quite a bit here, but there isn't any beer here, so you'll have to bring your own. Maybe some of us will make a run over to Miska's for some good stuff when everyone gets here.

As for meals, I don't have any cooking ability at all. It's best if I don't even try to make you anything. If someone would like to make something, the full kitchen facilities are available to you. Other than that, we can all get organized and go somewhere, or I've got a delivery menu or two around here somewhere.

THINGS TO KNOW:
* We've got two cats. If you've got allergies, you might want to take this into account. We'll also need to make sure they don't get out of the apartment, because they wouldn't last five minutes outside.
* This porch out back is shared with the other units in the building (five, including ours). Everyone else in the building is cool, but so you know, it may be more than just us out there.
* We've got some hotels here in the city, but nothing really around the house. If you want to stay somewhere and need help figuring out what's best, let me know and I'll help you out.
* If you get lost anywhere on the way here, just give me a call. I should be able to talk you down.
* No markers allowed. I'll be checking bags when you come in, so don't get any smart ideas. I'm looking at you, GCP noders.

CONTACT INFORMATION: Cell Number is probably best - (312) 391-5577

The Cool Kids:
vandewal (naturally)
BrooksMarlin
LaggedyAnne and Sessor
Wiccanpiper and BriarCub - who have dibs on the futon in the sunroom
chaotic_poet
RoguePoet
opteek
sauth
mordel
karma debt
izubachi!?! - will be here Friday night. Show up early kids!
Ysardo - Last minute addition

Maybe they're cool enough:
jrn
hunt05
Billy
Two Sheds

You suck, but we'll see you on Labor Day:
artman2003
Apatrix