I'm currently working on the fly floor for an amateur Les Miserables production. From a technical point of view there are a number of interesting features enforced by the owners of the copyright for the show.

Firstly at the start of the first bridge scene (the one with Look Down in), the bridge flies in, in full view of the audience, to land on a particular beat in the crescendo. This is challenging when doing the flying by hand.

Secondly the barricades must revolve. This is often done with a revolve stage, but can be done (as we are doing it) using stage crew inside the barricade pushing in (and the cast members on it) around on wheels.

Other than that it's a great show to fly for and most of us crew join in the choruses.


spoiler: I've got to elaborate on Xarisa's plot line. Jean Valjean skips parole for stealing a loaf of bread and is treated as an outcast (his prison number is tattooed to his chest) and hounded by the policeman Javert. He meets the Cosette's dying mother whom he'd earlier wronged and promises to look after Cosette who is being ill-treated by the inn keeper and his wife. He helps in the ill-fated up rising, living long enough to save Javert's life, but dying shortly afterwards in the sewers.