I am unsure if I should begin this piece in an academic and informative manner, describing the nature of the event, the contestants, the issues and so on. I probably would do a poor job of that anyway. I just want the election to be over and done with. Everywhere one turns, one is inundated with news about the elections; with polls predicting the outcome; with analysis of obscure counties in US states; with tweets vehemently excoriating one side or the other. It is exhausting. And while I would like to say I am irritated because I don’t care, in this case I care for a petty reason. I ought not to care because I don’t have a vote since I am not a citizen. Further, being a black African Muslim man, US policy towards me is the same regardless of which party is in power, to wit, I am unwanted. In a way, the republicans are even good for me because they don’t hide their animus, so I don’t get ideas. Anyway, the reason I care is because I am on a WhatsApp group where a pompous know it all has been ceaselessly commenting on the election. He usually talks about it with another who whenever he reads something on Quora or watches a video on YouTube starts to parade his misunderstood new knowledge as if he had discovered the grand unified theory. They talk to each other in a supercilious, self-congratulatory manner, I imagine they are feeling cool that they have crunched the numbers small enough or know enough about America, or are naturally so smart that they are able to predict the election just by reading stuff on the internet. It would be absurd if it weren't so annoying considering I doubt either of them has ever been to the US. Further, they are Trump supporters. They claim he has been good for the American economy. I don't know and I don't care. From a purely sectional perspective, why should they root for someone who clearly disdains them? This is the man who called our country a shithole. I share that sentiment, but damnit, that sort of thing ought to be said in a diplomatic manner.

I would really like Trump to lose so I can laugh scornfully at them. Or just quietly enjoy the satisfaction that they got egg on their phone screens.

Iron Noder 2020, 2/30