There is a restaurant that I like. At the entrance, there is a sign saying "NO MASK, NO ENTRY". The security men at the door sometimes wear the masks and other times have them on their chins. But here is the really stupid thing, they let you in if you are merely holding a mask. Otherwise, you won't be allowed to enter except if you buy one from the pack being sold at the door. You can buy it and refuse to wear it. Inside, rarely is anyone wearing a mask. Even people who wear them take them off to eat. It is not only stupid, but annoying.

As at today, Nigeria allegedly has had approximately 183,000 cases and 2,229 deaths. I say allegedly because we do not have the data collection infrastructure of better governed countries. Under normal circumstances, not all deaths are reported to the government and there are many people who live their entire lives without the government being aware of them. So, it is most likely that the numbers above are lower than reality. Also we were never really strict about social distancing, quarantines and the like. So, I am pretty sure that the cases are much higher. Regardless, Nigeria is pretty blasé about the whole thing. It is a disease with low morbidity and mortality. While not dismissing the experts' view, many people; myself included, think the reaction has been out of proportion to the danger.