Clove Essential Oil

Fragrant, pungent, warming, stimulating - all these words describe this spicy and versatile essential oil. Long used in aromatherapy to relieve pain, it is also an uplifting oil with a delightful scent.

Its use in treating toothache and mouth ulcers is well known and documented, but it is also used topically to relieve general aches and pains, and in evaporators and diffusers to reduce tension and improve concentration. Clove oil is occasionally used in preparations to treat digestive problems, too, and (when used with citrus oils) is an effective insect repellent!

For general pain relief, clove oil is used at three drops to 25ml of base oil, or a few drops added to a bath.

To lift the spirits, blend with cinnamon, orange, nutmeg or vanilla oils. Using this warming blend in an evaporator will soon fill the room and relieve winter blues. It has been used when treating people with mild SAD.

The active ingredients are: eugenol, eugenyl acetate, caryophyllene and isocaryophyllene. Many of these will irritate mucous membranes or sensitive skin, so great care must be taken.

Warnings. The oil should not be used if skin is sensitive or broken, and never undiluted - you must always use a base oil such as almond. Additionally, you should avoid it if you suffer from alcoholism, haemophilia, prostatic cancer, kidney or liver problems, and if taking anticoagulants.

Aromatherapy is not a substitute for medical diagnosis or treatment. If you have a health condition, consult your physician. If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, consult your doctor before using any aromatherapy products. Do not take essential oils internally. Keep essential oils and all aromatherapy products out of the reach of children. - http://www.celestialtouch.com




http://www.aromaweb.com/essentialoilsaf/clovebud.asp
http://www.celestialtouch.com/eopclove.html