"Flower of flowers"

Sweet, heady, almost hypnotic in its effect, ylang-ylang (sometimes disparagingly called "poor man's jasmine") is a wonderful and versatile essential oil. Pronounced 'ee-lang ee-lang', the name is Indonesian in origin.

It is distilled from the flowers of Cananga odorata var. genuina (a member of the tropical Annonaceae family). This tropical tree grows to a height of about 25 feet, and bears a profusion of pink, mauve or yellow flowers, which are picked as early in the day as possible, while they are at their most fragrant. The tree is native to Madagascar, Commoros, Reunion, Indonesia and the Philippines, and the flowers were traditionally used in a salve to counter inscet bites or ward off fevers (although in Indonesia the flowers were spread on the bed of a newlywed couple).

Its uses today include reducing tension and stress, and relieving mild depression by uplifting the spirits. Its aphrodisiac qualities are well-known. Certainly, it has a relaxing aroma, and quietens and calms. Some people have also used it in the treatment of frigidity and impotence. In bathwater or applied topically, the effect is almost instant - inhaling the heavy scent immediately relaxes and mildly energises.

Ylang-ylang works well in blends with bergamot, geranium, mandarin, patchouli and sandalwood.

Some cheaper oils may come from the inferior Cananga odorata, but more honest oil suppliers will label this simply cananga. It is certainly less fragrant, and has somewhat different effects.


Caution: This oil should not be used if skin is sensitive or broken, and excess use may lead to nausea or headache.

Aromatherapy is not a substitute for medical diagnosis or treatment. If you have a health condition, consult your physician. If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, consult your doctor before using any aromatherapy products. Do not take essential oils internally. Keep essential oils and all aromatherapy products out of the reach of children. - http://www.celestialtouch.com