Union Square is a small public park and gathering spot located on the edge of downtown San Francisco. It is bordered by Post Street on the north, Geary Street on the south, Stockton Street on the east, and Powell Street on the west. Pedestrians enter the park from the corners, where there are a few steps leading up to a plaza of beautiful planters filled with shrubs and flowers du jour.

The park has undergone several re-designs through the years, and every version has been captured on film. Director Alfred Hitchcock, who used many San Francisco landmarks as backdrops in his films, included several shots of the old Union Square in the films Vertigo and The Birds.

The Union Square I know best is the one that lasted through the 90's until the year 2001. It featured square planters in the middle of the square, ample ledges around the planters that were shared by visitors, shoppers, skateboarders, and local employees alike.

Union featured flat smooth ground around the planters. Many local art shows and sales were held at Union Square because it was an easy and convenient location with plenty of foot traffic. The square was also a great place to sit on the ledges and enjoy the sunshine. It was a great place to feed birds, as well as have a bite to eat yourself.

At night, Union became a hangout for local skateboarders and romantic couples. I once watched Karl Watson skate Union. It was like watching a work of art in progress.

In 2001 Union Square was closed for remodeling until the year 2002.