The first time ever I ate Chinese food was when I lived in Rome, Italy. I fell in love with it immediately.

An American friend of mine taught me how to use chopsticks. At first it was very hard, but soon I became a natural. I have been using chopsticks in Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, etc restaurants ever since.

Believe it or not, it tastes better that way. Any culinary experience is a combination of many factors, such as taste, smell, color (the Japanese in particular are masters of color arrangement when it comes to food), the structure of the food, the ambience, etc. The feel of the wood in the mouth as opposed to the metal of the silverware also makes a difference. That is why it tastes better with chopsticks.

Currently I live in a small town in Northern Winsconsin (Rhinelander). We have had only one Chinese restaurant here for years (and none of the other cuisines listed above). But about a year ago a new Chinese restaurant opened its doors. It became an instant hit, mostly because it has a buffet, which seems to be a popular thing in the US. I eat there regularly, though I never use the buffet. Indeed, the picture in my home node is from that restaurant.

Naturally, I use chopsticks. And, of course, I do not use a plate, but eat from the rice bowl, placing the food on the rice. The fact that a 6'4" redhead would eat with chopsticks and from a bowl in a place like this immediately attracted the attention of the restaurant owner and the waiters. I am now their special customer. For example, one day I ordered a tofu dish. They were out of tofu, so they sent someone to the grocery store to buy some tofu just so they could give me what I was asking for.

It is not unusual for some customer to stop eating altogether and just stare at me transfixed. Some of them start a conversation. Many assume I lived in China before (I did not, not in this lifetime anyway). In fact, I have never been anywhere near.

One day someone asked me, "Where did you learn to eat with chopsticks like that?" To that I answered most casually, "In Rome." Too bad I did not have a camera with me. Taking a picture of his facial expression would probably win me a Pulitzer. :)