Hmmm..parallels.

I'm sitting here, wondering how and the hell I'm gonna get the gas money to run across to the other coast at five in the morning. I'm waiting on my brother's phone call to tell me to book it over, that the time has become dire. We almost lost her last May, but she hasn't eaten in two weeks. Shortly I know, maybe tonight, I will lose my only remaining grandparent.

My mom's mom. Gran. Capricorn. Crass, vulgar, mean old Gran. Who always snuck me a piece of See's divinity candy when I got my ass beat as a child. She saw her 93rd birthday December 26th....70 years and six months exactly older than me.

Her mind's been lost to us for about eight years now. I used to spend the summers taking care of her with Agie. Agie. My real mom in my head. We lost her two summers ago, five days before my birthday. I'm not scared for Gran, they'll take care of each other.

I'm twenty-two. All of my family is ages older than me. I'm tired of losing people. I can't even cry anymore. I just tuck myself into the bottom of the couch and wait for the panic to pass.

Sorry if anything you guys do down here on earth doesn't seem to matter to me. I'm not impressed, I'm not even moved. My mind is elsewhere and has been for some time.

I love you, Gran. And I'll set your daughter straight if it really is the last thing I do. I know you'd like that.

Frank, you missed meeting her.