It's been an unpleasantly dull summer so far. No work, which is not too surprising given that the economy continues to be shitty and that I cratered the CPA exam in spectacular fashion, so instead of continuing to sit around the burrow and be depressed about it, I am going to see if I can bootstrap myself into a small accounting practice. After my experiences in the tax business, I think there are a lot of small businessmen who have no clue whatsoever about bookkeeping and the paperwork involved in doing simple things like figuring out if they're actually making money at what they're doing. Which is where I come in. This isn't the sort of work that requires a CPA, but it's more advanced than data entry, and after a couple years of bashing through various accounting courses at the local community college, I think I can manage it. We'll see if I can actually do well enough at this to make a living at it so I can stop living off the generosity of my friends.

Also, the major storm that killed a few people and left a few hundred thousand without power went through here Friday night and knocked out the electricity, which has made life unexpectedly unpleasant. Wound up spending a lot of time at the local McDonald's taking advantage of their free wifi, relatively comfortable seats, cheap food, air conditioning, and wall sockets. Here's to the Golden Arches; there were a lot of my fellow Virginians who found them oases in the stifling heat just as I did.