Personally, I always thought Speedy Gonzales was one of the less-entertaining Warner Brothers cartoons. It was basically the same thing as the Roadrunner toons, except that it was set mainly in Mexico and featured Sylvester in the place of Wile E. Coyote and Speedy in the place of the Roadrunner.

Unfortunately, the plots of the Speedy Gonzales segments didn't have quite the same flair of originality that was present in the Roadrunner cartoons. Admittedly, both toons were somewhat flawed in that there was very rarely any dramatic tension, because you know Roadrunner/Speedy will always come out on top. This forced the writers of the toons to rely on the overly repetitive "Coyote/Sylvester concocts nifty plan/nifty ACME device and attempts to capture and eat Roadrunner/Speedy" plot line.

However, despite this shortcoming, the Roadrunner toons never fail to entertain me for one reason: the lack of any speech whatsoever. The silent comedy style of slapstick humor in the Roadrunner toons has me rolling on the floor every single time, no matter how repetitive it is. In the same right, the main failing of the Speedy Gonzales cartoons was the overabundance of silly dialogue that really detracted from the humor potential.

Combine this lack of humor with the fact that I really don't care for the well-being of Speedy because I know he'll always win, and the inevitable result is that Speedy Gonzales is just not entertaining.