New Mexico State University is my university of choice.

Here's some propaganda from www.nmsu.edu:

  • The Institute for Scientific Information ranked NMSU second among U.S. universities in the impact of its engineering research because of citations of NMSU work in researchers' publications worldwide.
  • NMSU has been ranked for the fourth consecutive year as One of America's 100 Best College Buys for being above average academically and below average in cost.
  • The Kaplan/Newsweek College Catalog 2000 survey of high school guidance counselors nationwide ranks NMSU a "Hidden Treasure" because its quality liberal arts education and educational value for the cost are underrecognized.
  • NMSU is one of 89 Universities on the Carnegie Foundation's list of Research I Universities.
  • Three national Hispanic publications rank NMSU among the best for Hispanic students.
  • New Mexico State University, based in Las Cruces, is the state's university, with more than 23,800 students on five campuses.
  • New Mexico State University, which began in 1888 as an agricultural college and preparatory school, is a comprehensive institution dedicated to teaching, research, and service. The university is in the southern New Mexico city of Las Cruces, which has a population of about 85,000. The region features desert mesas, the farmlands of the Rio Grande Valley, and the Organ Mountains, an extension of the Rocky Mountain chain.
  • Total fall 1999 enrollment for NMSU main campus and branch campuses is 23,818. The main campus enrollment is 15,449; branch campuses total 8,217; and the Las Cruces Extension courses, 152. Minority enrollment is about 46 percent (39 percent Hispanic, 3 percent American Indian, 2 percent African-American and 2 percent Asian-American).
  • Regular faculty members on the main campus number 654. Eighty-one percent of the full-time faculty hold earned doctoral degrees. The faculty/student ratio is 1 to 18.5. The professional and classified staff total 2,724.
  • Classified by the Carnegie Foundation as a Research I Institution, NMSU has research expenditures exceeding $100 million a year. The university anchors the southern end of New Mexico's Rio Grande Research Corridor.

    blah, blah, blah....
    I like it though - the relatively small campus is nice and while Las Cruces isn't exactly a party city, I really enjoy living here. The sky is incredible, the food is wonderful, and coming from Houston, the mountains and occasional change in altitude is really neat!