Abraham Heschel, a 20th-century rabbi, wrote (roughly) that modern Westerns "expect G-d to act like a middle-aged father, and then are forced to come up with excuses for Him when He doesn't." The objections to thing In the Bible, God answers these objections in Job 38 and his answer is, basically, "mind your own business." That's not particularly satisfying. It's especially grim when you consider that ancient Judaism didn't have heaven to fall back on; in their belief system, if you were screwed on Earth that was that...the afterlife isn't a place where everything gets fixed up.

I do have a possible response. Tem42 said that "there are many things that Humans can't do, no matter how hard they will it." That's not true. The evidence so far suggests that humans, as a species, can in fact do anything we want. History is filled with people who said "God will not allow it!" In every case, they were wrong. Individual human beings are limited in what they can achieve, but the human race can apparently do anything. The free will of humanity as a whole is indeed infinite.


s_alanet: carnivores pre-date humans by several hundred million years--billions, even, depending on your definition of "carnivore." Your argument only makes sense if you hold to a young-world creationist idea. If you believe that, you're welcome to do so, but in this forum you're only going to make Christianity look bad (see bad theology).

Tem42: All I can say is that the relationship between finite and infinite things is confusing enough when you're not trying to quantify an abstract like free will. Your free will, which is finite but non-zero, is one value in a sequence of human free wills that tends to infinity. Why do you have the amount of free will that you do? That's like asking why 100 is bigger than 99 but smaller than 101. Any infinite sequence is made up of particular quantities...your free will, and mine, are finite points that are part of the sequence.