Actually, I saw a thing on 48 Hours all about ecstasy and the culture surrounding it. There was one bit about an organization called DanceSafe (I believe that's how it was spaced, might be Dance Safe though). Their (controversial) goal was not to prevent ravers from taking E, but rather to make sure they were taking just E, and not E plus many, often dangerous, impurities.

What they did was set up a booth at raves in major cities. Sometimes, the DJs would announce that it was available. Ravers could go up to the table, and hand over their pills (which they were told were pure E when they bought them) and the DanceSafe people would test them. They'd scratch off a small bit of dust from the pill, put it on a plate, and pour a chemical solution over it. Depending on what color the chemical turned, they could tell if A.) the pill contained ecstasy, and B.) the pill contained any other recognized drugs, such as speed, LSD, and some deadly ecstasy look-alikes.

I highly commend these people on the service they're doing. I agree with domaindudu that drugs are your own choice and I also respect that choice, whatever it is. However, people obviously aren't going to stop doing E just because the government tells them not to. If the government really wants to protect people from the "dangers" of E, they ought to endorse such organizations, since E has been shown to be very harmless if you take it in moderation (I heard if you do it only once every two weeks or so, it has very little chance of doing any real damage to your brain) and thus making sure it's free of impurities cuts down on 90% of the major risks involved.

DanceSafe is definitely a good thing.