This is the History of Maserati, an Italian automobile manufacturer founded by Emilio Maserati and his brothers.


1914 "Alfieri Maserati Garage Workshop" opens its doors in Bologna.

1926 Targa Florio, Tipo 26: debut and victory for the car, driven by Alfieri Maserati himself. This was the first vehicle which carries the Trident emblem on the bonnet, and thus the first known Maserati Automobile.

1927 Emilio Maserati wins the title of overall Italian champion in the Tipo 26.

1929 Baconin Borzacchini, Tipo V4: breaks the world speed 10 km record at 246 km/h.

1930 Borzacchini, V4: first victory in a Grand Prix, at Tripoli.

1933 Maserati, first among the European constructors to introduce hydraulic brake controls on its racing cars. Giuseppe Campari, with Tipo 8 CM wins the Grand Prix of France and Tazio Nuvolari the Grand Prix of Belgium and of Nice.

1934 Giuseppe Furmanik, Tipo 4CM: breaks the world speed record for the 1100 class at 222 km/h.

1939 Wilbur Shaw with 8CTF wins the 500 Auto Race in Indianapolis: Maserati will remain the first and only Italian constructor to date to win this legendary race.

1940 Maserati moves to Modena.

1947 Presentation of the first GT car: the A6 1500, with Pininfarina bodywork. The racing version A6GCS comes out winning with Alberto Ascari on the Modena track.

1954 The 250F is victorious in Argentina; this single-seater will enable Maserati to win the Formula 1 World Championship.

1957 Fangio wins the world titles with the 250F. At the end of the year Maserati officially retires from racing.

1961 The 3500 GT is the first Italian car available with fuel injection.

1963 Mistral and Quattroporte, the fastest saloons of the world, are created.

1966 Presentation of the Ghibli, a coupé designed by Giugiaro.

1968 Citroen joins as a partner, and the V6 engine production is started. Presentation of the 2+2 Indy.

1971 Presentation of the Bora, the first mid-engined Maserati GT. Merak will follow a year later.

1973 Kamshin, designed by Bertone, replaces Ghibli.

1975 Citroen leaves the company, taken over by Alejandro De Tomaso.

1976 The new Quattroporte, designed by Giugiaro, is introduced as a high profile car and will be used even by the President of the Italian Republic.

1981 De Tomaso changes strategy and starts producing Biturbo, a saloon with 2 doors with 6-cylinder engine.

1989 Shamal is the first car featuring the new Biturbo 8-cylinder of 3200 cc.

1993 Fiat Auto purchases the complete share package and in 1998 presents the new Quattroporte.

1997 Ferrari acquires the control of Maserati.