The Lagoon Amusement park, operating out of Farmington, Utah, is the sort of thing that counts as a "staple" in a community. It's a small, family owned amusement park that recently celebrated its 100th year (though, technically, it's much older than even that.

Located about 15 minutes north of Salt Lake City by I-15 lies Lagoon. It's on its own street, aptly called "Lagoon Drive". It has ample parking (even if they have to stick you in the employee lot) at $5 USD a vehicle, or you can park your car in "downtown" Farmington and take a free Trolley to the gates (though entry into the park itself will still cost you). Entry into the park with full unlimited use of the rides (an "All day Ride Passport" as it's called) will run you a little bit under $30, with a season pass clocking in at about $70 (when purchasing 2 or more). Their main informational telephone is 801-451-8000 (USA country code) where you'll hear a recording of all the parks' vital statistics.

Lagoon began its life a Lake Park Terrace, a resort built on the shores of Great Salt Lake/Farmington Bay in 1886. It was mostly a meeting place with live music (what else!), dancing, swimming, roller skating, bowling and a merry-go-round as well as other outdoorsy things that upstanding citizens of the late 1800's were apt to do.

A potential disaster struck in the mid 1890's when the Great Salt Lake underwent one of its cycles of recession and Lake Park Terrace was suddenly 200 yards from the water. To remedy this, the entire meager resort was moved inland around an equally meager lake, Lake Lagoon. Most of everything could continue there, and the the park began to get a reputation in the surrounding areas as the "place to be" to see live shows and be with friends. The "Lake" was later dropped and it because, simply, Lagoon.

As the appetite of the visitors increased, the park had to offer more and varied functions. The predecessor of the Log Flume, "Shoot the Chutes" was put in in 1906, as well as the elegantly carved Merry-Go-Round which, 96 years later, is still in daily operation. The music gazebo was pulled down and a full-size stage was erected where, for almost 40 years Lagoon was the place to see live shows -- Duke Ellington, Count Basie and Elvis Presly and even The Rolling Stones were some of the acts seen on the stage.

In the late 40's the park was bought by the Freed Family, whereupon, in 1953, half of the park promptly burned to the ground. Most of the originally midway was lost as well as the stage, though the most important facets, the Merry-Go-Round and (most of) the White Roller coaster were spared. It was later rebuilt and reopened in 1957 with its focus changed from resort-type lounging about to rides and other "active" amusements.

To replace the incinerated stage, "Patio Gardens" was build and it would serve as a venue for such acts as Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong and even the Three Stooges. More progressive acts like Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, The Rolling Stones and The Doors also appeared here before it was changed into a roller-skating Rink and then into a Video Arcade in the late 70's.

More and more rides were added over the next decades: The Colassus/Fire Dragon Roller coaster (which for a shining 3 months was fastest coaster west of the Mississippi), The Wild Mouse (which went away in 1989 and returned in 1997), The Tidal Wave, The Flying Carpet (which was little more than a death-trap before it was torn down in 1999... but it was still so much Fun), Skyscraper (the second tallest ferris wheel in North America, The Samurai, The Rocket and too many others for me to remember. In 1976 the ajoining "living museum", Pioneer Village, was incorporated into the park on the east side.

Lagoon has been a staple of the local community for several reasons besides being the only park within driving distance. It has legal dispense to hire 15-year-olds for part time work (because theirs seasonal) and because it brings revenue into the surrounding community. During seasonal operation times (April through October), the park employs an average of 650 workers, though during the off season that number dwindles to a year round skeleton crew of about 100.

The Ruling Family, The Freeds, acquired the park under somewhat shady circumstances in the late 40's, circumstances which continue today: issues like not paying property taxes, paying some of the lowest wages in the county and financial mismanagement. The most amusing incident of this is when one of the senior officials, Davey, took the money that was appropriated for renovation of the Rides Department Offices and instead used it all to buy himself a new desk at the tune of $20,000. Yes Dave, I know you deny it, but I do have the proof. Yes, that proof.

The bottom line is that It's a heluva fun (if pricey) place to visit, but if you work there in anything less than an executive capacity, you will be treated like an indentured servant. The majority of the full-time employees are awesome people, but the people in the positions of park-wide power need lessons in, among other things, decorum.