ProDOS is its own OS, and likewise has it's own command set. It is different enough from Dos 3.3 to cause some confusion and so here is a set of basic commands for working your way around ye' olde' ProDOS.

  • CAT or CATALOG
    Gets a listing of all files in the current prefix (se below). It is the equivelent as the MS-DOS 'dir' command or the UNIX 'ls' command. 'CAT' will give an listing that will fit on a 40-column screen, while 'CATALOG' displays a more complete listing for 80-column displays.

  • PREFIX
    This is the ProDOS version of the MS-DOS and UNIX 'CD', and such a directlry in ProDOS is sometiems refered to as a prefix. This makes perfect sense when you think about it. The prefix delimeter is the proper "/", instead of the drain bramaged "\" that Mess-DOS uses.

  • CREATE
    The ProDOS version of the MS-DOS and UNIX 'mkdir'. Creates a new 'PREFIX' for files to be put in to.

  • RENAME
    Rename a file. Same as what was it does in MS-DOS or Apple DOS 3.3.

  • DELETE
    Delete or erase a file. MS-DOS 'del' or UNIX 'rm'.

  • VERIFY
    Verify that a particular file exists propery on the disk and check to see if each sector is readable.

  • - (DASH)

    The dash is a special prefix, Executes a file regardless of what type it is. This, of course, won't work unless the file can be executed.

  • RUN

    Executes an (uncompiled) Applesoft BASIC program -- Integer BASIC execution is NOT supported in ProDOS.

  • BYE
    Dumps you out from the current BASIC.SYSTEM and prompts the user for the name of another .SYSTEM file to execute. A ProDOS '.SYSTEM' file is like the MS-DOS 'command.com' or UNIX shell.