For 19 years I had long brown hair. I didn't dye it or even use mousse. Then one day I bleached it and dyed it blue (turquoise, really), as the price for permission to dye my friend's hair orange. It was fun. People stared at it. Random people came up to me on the street and started talking at me. ("Have you ever seen the movie the boy with green hair? (this was after it started to fade - blue dyes are the fastest to fade) it was about war, or something. do you like war?" "Um..") Best fun was seeing stodgy old mutual fund reps (I work at the head office of a canadian securities dealership) do a triple take when they walked in to drop off business to be processed.

It was also a heartwarming look at how nice my co-workers and boss are - the industry I'm in is 90% male and everyone dresses to the nines and all the women wear ten layers of makeup and high heels and on and on.. except in my office. I timidly asked permission before we went ahead with the dying, and my manager was all "Sounds fine, I'll just doublecheck with the president-- no! I'm not even going to ask him! I wouldn't care if you shaved your head! When you take away freedom of expression, you have a fucked up society!" cool. cooool. The president, as it turned out, totally loved my hair, especially when it faded to the same green as our corporate logo. Hee.

Right now, my hair is red. Not the red that 30something secretaries dye their hair to look sassy, but the colour of the neon red crayon in a package of crayola neon colours. With a bit of a purple stripe where I couldn't get all the blue out. It almost makes me look like I'm not anaemic. Almost.

The whole experience has given me insight in to something I've never understood - why do people wear makeup, or have piercings, or get a tattoo? (some religious reasons aside..) Because it's fun. The body is a playground.

And hey, it's only hair.