Many factors led to the creation and success of Rome.

One of these factors was Rome's prime geographical location. Rome was positioned in the center of the Italian peninsula, which was in turn in the center of the Mediterranean Sea. This location allowed Rome to influence major trading routes across the Mediterranean from the East and South and allowed Rome a lot of room to expand without going too far from home.

Rome's success was based on its military might. In its early years, Rome gained dominance over the other cities in Italy and soon had prominence over much of the peninsula. After a period of wars with its main rival Carthage, Rome became the dominant force in the Mediterranean and soon expanded throughout Western Europe and Central Europe, north Africa, and west Asia.

During this time Rome transformed its government from a republic consisting of wealthy senators to an empire with an all-powerful emperor. The Roman Empire was very successful due to its provisions to the common citizens and its unconquerable army, which had no hesitation to destroy any cities showing signs of rebellion.

The Romans believed in duty and loyalty to the family and state, and honored those who put the good of others ahead of the good of himself.

Rome has an enduring legacy because of the many influences it has had in shaping western thought and modern art, science, communications and engineering.