- For a joyous drunken revel

Makes about 2.3 gallons. The quantities for the more manageable 2.25 quart volume are in ( ). This requires at least 9 hours of chilling time, so make it ahead!

This fantastic eggnog tastes deceptively light, and is truly intoxicating. Sitting overnight allows the liquor to mellow. The resultant milk of paradise is richly flavored and not at all harsh. Rather ironically, I got this recipe from a Jewish friend. Needless to say, this would only be served on a dairy night!

Ingredients
Additional needs
  • An egg beater
  • 2 mixing bowls
  • Something from which to serve
  • Someone sober to drive home. Or, if you are home, someone to tuck you into bed. Pick someone who is lactose intolerant….

Beat the yolks, preferably with a whip or whisk attachment, until they are light in color. Continue to beat while adding half the sugar. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, mix the rest of the sugar with about 20% of the whiskey. Add this to the yolks while beating on high speed, but be careful as it may splash. Add all the rum, and mix until well blended and the sugar is dissolved. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.

A few hours before serving, beat the cream until it is thick but not holding peaks. Add the milk to the cream, and then add the milk and cream to the yolk mixture. Add the remaining whisky, mix thoroughly and chill at least 1 hour. Sprinkle the top generously with nutmeg before serving.



Additional notes

Regarding salmonella. The yolks sit with quite a bit of alcohol and sugar for a rather long time. I find it unlikely that salmonella would survive this particular torture. However, if it worries you, do what I always do when I use eggs in a recipe with little or no cooking. Thoroughly wash your eggs in cold water and then lightly dry them off before you use them. Any salmonella on the shell will be washed down the drain. If you have the bad luck to have a salmonella infected egg, one with salmonella on the inside, make sure to keep the eggs and eggnog properly chilled at all times and you'll be fine.

ke6isf suggests the use of pasteurized eggs for the recipe. I've no experience with the things, but it's an intruiging idea. I believe it's done by irradiation.

My friend with the recipe always made the point of saying, as I was measuring the booze, 'Measure generously.' So I say to you now, the quantities of the liquor are a tasty guideline, but don’t be obsessive about the measuring. It is a time of joy after all!

Regarding spare egg whites. Angel food cake anyone? Meringues? Almond macaroons? Or freeze them individually in a plastic ice cube tray and save 'em for later. All sorts of recipes require egg whites, and a few added to scrambled eggs, etc. are invisible. So eat up them whites!