Citrus salad

I go through this alarmingly quickly when I take the time to make it. But I would call this 4 generous servings for everyone else.

2 blood oranges if you can get them, sectioned
2 preferably pink or red grapefruit, sectioned
4 tangerines, sectioned. This is optional for those who don't mind the effort of sectioning small, extremely juicy fruit! If not, use 2 more oranges of any variety.
about 1 tbsp honey, a light flavor like the commonly available clover or orange blossom works well.

Place all the sectioned fruit and juices into a container or glass bowl, mix gently to distribute the different varieties without breaking them apart or mashing them. I leave even the largest grapefruit sections whole as they will keep their texture longer and, anyway, I prefer the appearance. Drizzle with the honey, cover and chill. It will keep for a few days, and is better after chilling for at least an hour.

This is an extremely refreshing snack, and the juice that collects in the dish may well be the best part. The different colored fruit wedges are lovely, and the honey takes any acidic edge off of the grapefruit. Don't overdo the honey, though. A little goes a long way, and the rest of the fruit is very sweet.

How to section a relatively spherical citrus fruit: This is a messy process which should only be attempted if your hands are free of cuts and broken skin. Or wear rubber gloves.

Cut off the stem and blossom ends of the fruit so that the membrane is cut away and you have exposed pulp. Then, follow the shape of the fruit and cut off the rest of the peel, making sure to remove all the membrane as you cut.

Take your paring knife and slide it between the membrane of a section and the pulp. Slide the knife until it reaches the angle in the membrane at the center of the fruit. Do not cut through the membrane. Instead, twist the knife so that the blade scrapes up the membrane on the other side of the section. The wedge of pulp, entirely free of membrane, should pop right out.

If there are any bits of membrane or pith still attached, remove them and any seeds. Repeat until the fruit is entirely disemboweled. Then squeeze the bits you are left with for the juice. The membrane and the peel can contain quite a bit of juice depending on how careful you are while sectioning, and the condition of the fruit. Note that tangerines and tangelos tend to have thinner membrane and are, well, squishier so they are a bit more difficult to section.