A driving maneuver used by some drivers in New England.

Quite difficult to explain, so I've made some helpful diagrams.

We have here one side of a 2-lane highway. The cars are moving from right to left. Car A is driving way too slow (by New England standards; probably 5 mph over the limit). Car B is set to pass Car A.

-----------------------
      AAA
-----------------------
                BBB
=======================

Here comes the impatient Boston driver in Car C entering the scene at a high rate of speed. The driver sees that Car B is trying to pass, but Car B is going a little too slow for Car C's tastes. So he decides to try to beat the guillotine.
-----------------------
    AAA            CCC  
-----------------------
             BBB   
=======================

Car C will accelerate in the rightmost lane, switching lanes at the last possible moment, cutting off Car B, and continue on its way. Car C has sucessfully beat the guillotine.
-----------------------
   AAA 
------CCC-------------
         BBB
=======================

Now, this is a rather tricky maneuver. If the driver of Car C judges the speed of the cars wrong, or swtiches lanes to early, Car C will get trapped in the guillotine, with Car C wedged inbetween Car A and Car B.
-----------------------
  AAAC
----C------------------
   CBBB           
=======================


The advanced Boston driver will perform this manuever on single lane roads as well.


information gathered from Wild in the Streets: The Boston Driver's Handbook