This weekend I got to be in a haunted house. I got to design the scene, come up with the props, the people, and be whatever character I wanted. I decided to be a mad scientist/Herr Frankenstein kind of character and dissect an alien. How's that for crossing genres?

Anyway, here's some of the cool stuff I discovered:

  • Tonic water glows under black lights.
  • Rit whitener and brightener glows under black lights and can be mixed in with liquids or sprayed on anything to cause it to glow.
  • Jello can be made double strength, and with red and blue food coloring added, it makes a nice glop to pull guts out of.
  • At the bottom of a batch of double strength Jello will be a very thick hardened layer that looks a lot like liver.
  • It really grosses people out if you eat what looks like raw liver.
  • An eggplant looks a lot like a heart when it's lifted out of a body cavity dripping with goo.
  • Sausage casings can be purchased and filled with Jello, milk, and food coloring to make some wicked looking intestines.
  • A simple mixture of white glue, borax, food coloring, and water can be used to make all sorts of organs. (recipe below)
  • Live rats add a lot of authenticity to a laboratory scene, and manage to scare most everyone.
  • Smoke bombs really stink when let off in an enclosed area.

Here's the recipe for the slime/glop that I made. The amount of water can be adjusted to make it more or less "slimey". The texture can vary from a nice oozy slime to a very firm mushy mass. I set out some bowls of this stuff at the entrance to the room in the haunted house, and it was probably the main attraction. Kids of all ages couldn't seem to keep their hands out of it, and it was a lot of fun.
SLIME

  • 2 c White glue (Elmer's seems to work best)
  • 1 1/2 c Water
  • Food coloring
  • 1 ts Borax
  • 1/2 c Water

  • Mix the glue, 1 1/2 c water and food color. In a different bowl mix the borax and 1/2 c water. Add to the glue solution. You will get a very thick clump of Slime where the two mix. If you desire a looser, more slimy texture, add a bit more water and knead it in. The more slimy this is, though, the more apt it is to get stuck in any fabric it comes in contact with.