Here is a complete transcript of the phone conversation I just finished having with my mom.:

Me: "Hello?"

My Mom: "I just want you to know that I’m not going to be able to sleep tonight. This is the worst thing that anyone has ever done to me. Goodbye."

"CLICK!"

That was our second conversation tonight. The first one was alot longer. Essentially what happened was that my mom asked me to hold a grudge against the father of one of my best friends. This was the result of something he did to my mom, which was not a very good thing to do. I won't go in to the specifics of what it was, but suffice it to say that it was inappropriate. It was not illegal or violent, but it was mean and inappropriate and it made my mom feel extremely hurt.

I sympathized with my mom. I really did. So I asked her what I could do about it. She told me to "turn my back on him," and if my friend who is his son ever invited me to come to his parent's house again (a frequent occourance), I was to refuse and tell him that I wouldn't go there anymore because of what his father did to my mother.

I refused. I told my mom that what she had asked of me was simply not something I was prepared to do. I couldn't just do that to my best friend, even if his dad did a really evil thing to my mom. The conflict was between them, not us, and while I sympathize with my mother, I could not agree to this. It would not have served any pupose but to increase animosity and set a stage for further pain to be caused.

So my mom told me that she thought my attitude was disgusting and that she had nothing else to say so goodbye.

"CLICK!" She hung up on me. I need to be writing a paper right now, and now I have to deal with this shit.

So I go back to writing, trying to push it back in my head. About an hour later, my phone rings again.

"Hello?"

"I just want you to know that I’m not going to be able to sleep tonight. This is the worst thing that anyone has ever done to me. Goodbye."

"CLICK!"