The Bush Administration has made systematic and coordinated attacks on the 1971 Supreme Court decision on Roe v. Wade. This administration wants to implement nationwide abstinence only sex education. Funding has been taken from any organization that even mentions that abortion is an option. Bush has made a ban on partial-birth abortions. Bush recently signed a law that makes murdering a pregnant woman a double homicide, giving the fetus rights. Now is the time to make it clear to our government that we need choice. Our health is at risk. Our lives are at risk. Our freedom is at risk.

On Sunday April 25, 2004 in our Nation’s capital, we will march to uphold choice, justice, access, health, abortion, global and family planning. Seven leading national women’s rights groups have come together to organize this momentous event. The American Civil Liberties Union, Black Women's Health Imperative, Feminist Majority, NARAL Pro-Choice America, National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health, National Organization for Women and Planned Parenthood Federation of America are the principal organizers of the March for Women's Lives.

Assembly for the morning rally will begin at 10:00 AM, on the national mall between the Smithsonian museums (between 3rd St. and 14th). The march will begin at noon. After marching on Washington, a rally will be held from 1-4 p.m. on the National Mall.

I will be traveling 1,200 miles this weekend to be there. I decided that I wanted to tell my grandchildren I went to the protest that supported their right to choose, rather than say I almost went, but I didn’t have enough money or vacation time. This is important. Please come. Stand up for choice.

My mother had a wire hanger abortion before Roe v. Wade. That illegal procedure led to serious complications during my birth, and made it so she couldn't have more children. Women will still abort whether or not it is legal. Young women will still get pregnant whether or not their teachers told them to abstain from sex. Women will still be impregnated by their rapists. Women’s lives will still be jeopardized by the act of birth. Women will still want to have babies. Women will still give their babies up for adoption. Women will still need the right to choose what is best for them.

Keep choice legal

1.15 million people showed up to demand reproductive freedom. Bush stayed at Camp David for the day. Marchers vowed that abortion was here to stay, and that Bush had to go. My fear that the conservative republicans dominate the media was confirmed. The largest march in U.S. history was diminished, and the anti-abortion protest numbers and coverage was multiplied. I was proud to be there. To be contounted. To stand up for something I strongly believe in. To see my heros. To join with my friends. To demand my freedom.
Sore feet for Choice!

For a more detailed account of my experience there, and a personal opinion rant see April 25, 2004

www.marchforwomen.org
www.plannedparenthood.org
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41997-2004Apr25.html