The fear of undead or reanimated horses would more probably actually be called equikinemortophobia. Whilst such a phobia may seem niche or even fantastical, it is easy to imagine sufferers reporting genuine mental distress whenever exposed to imagery, stories, or indeed the very concept of horses returning from the dead. Fictional depictions of equine zombies do, at least, exist in folklore, horror literature, films, television, and video games. The original Ghost Rider movie starring Nicolas Cage had one gamely ridden by Sam Elliott. A fear by this name could be regarded as a subtype of both kinemortophobia (fear of the undead) and equinophobia (fear of horses). An alternate name might be hippokinemortophobia, but we live in a society which his become so accustomed to the modern association of "hippo" with the hippopotamus that such a word might be mistaken to mean fear of undead hippopotami.

If there are actual sufferers of equikinemortophobia, this condition surely would have had its origins in ancient mythology or cultural narratives wherein horses were not just revered as noble beasts, but occasionally depicted as supernatural steeds rising from the embrace of the grave, perhaps to accompany ghost-like warriors, or as cursed, reanimated creatures in the service of dark magic, neighing BLAAAAIGH AM THE KRAKEN FROM THE SEA!!



A quick trip for Live Deliciously: The 2024 Halloween Horrorquest